2/17/2011

My 1st post


I am Hijiri from Japan and I am currently studying at UEES as an exchange student from Australia.


Firstly, a big thank-you to Damien House for welcoming us and providing us with such a great opportunity to work here.

To be honest , before working here, I was not really aware of the situation of Hansen's Disease here in Ecuador, as in my country only one or two people are infected by the disease annually, therefore it's almost a forgotten disease in Japan. So I was actually very surprised by the fact that there are still a number of people suffering from the disease in Ecuador. 

At the beginning, I had some difficulties to have conversations with the patients due to my poor Spanish skills, however, now I believe that our conversations are slightly getting smoother than before, each time we talk. Also, I started getting to know about the circumstances of the disease and the patients. 

Here at Damien House, although, the patients receive an excellent support from the workers and the center, they still need more support financially and in removing the stigma from the disease. 

Actually, we only have a few more weeks to work here, so we are going to do our best supporting the place. 

Thanks,

Hijiri

No comments:

Post a Comment